‘Scooby Snax’: 4 homeless adults overdose on synthetic marijuana, or ‘spice’

scooby-snaxFour homeless adults remained hospitalized Friday after they were found unresponsive at a makeshift camp in Glen Burnie, Maryland, as a result of ingesting synthetic marijuana, or spice, local police said.

Anne Arundel County police officers said they responded Thursday afternoon to a wooded area near Route 648 (Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard) and Route 10 for a report of an overdose, called in by a witness.

Three men were taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center: a 57-year-old man who is listed in stable condition and expected to recover; a 52-year-old man in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit; and a 38-year-old man who is in the ICU but is expected to survive, police said Friday. The fourth person, a 45-year-old woman, was taken to Harbor Hospital where she is in critical but stable condition.

Synthetic Cannabinoids, or synthetic marijuana, are also known by the street names spice, kush, K2 and Scooby Snax. They are banned in Maryland.

Police say they discourage people from smoking or ingesting them because they are dangerous products.